Thursday, January 29, 2004

tonight just turned awesome, but the awesomeness itself took long enough that now i need to go to bed, not take the time to recount it. I will give a report tomorrow. For now, here's some pictures of my newly decorated room. I've got photos up of friends from oberlin and new ro, some training shots, me and sensei at the holloween party, me and robin and reba from the same, and the family. also posters of captain marvel, the bindlestiffs, the outlaw josey whales, and some others; more to come. there's also a take out menu from Gig's, our chippy, and of course the good old Jolly Roger to oversee things. I am thinking about investing in a lamp or christmas lights. either would add to the hominess of the place and honestly, i could use the light. the urge to decorate came from reading Raymond Chandler. In an early bit in "The Long Goodbye," Marlowe describes this guy's room like so:

His apartment was small and stuffy and impersonal. He might have moved in that afternoon .... There wasn't a photograph or a personal article of any kind in the place. It might have been a hotel room rented for a meeting or a farewell, for a few drinks and a talk, for a roll in the hay. It didn't look like a place where anyone lived."

After I read that, i thought that it could be a description of my own room, and it damn well shouldn't be. I want to feel like i live here, not like i'm just passing through the place. I was a bit frustrated at the decorating - i kind of didn't want to make it into another college room, with a mass of posters and cards on the walls, but i don't really have any fine art or anything, and it all suits me well enough, and reminds me of me. So now i have a room on its way to comfortably decorated. Tomorrow, laundry and cleaning (i vaccuumed today - mad points).

No comments: