Thursday, January 29, 2004

HOOOOOOLY fucking hell.
It's snowing in London.
Snowing heavy. You know how it started out? With thunder. Lightening, Two HUGE thunder claps, and now it's snowing in London. It's biblical. You know what's next? Locusts! Gosh, it's really coming down. I will have to take some pictures. Oh my lord, it's really gorgeous and chilly and madnificent. I think that it only snows like once per historical era here, this is really amazing. I'm sure that there have been English monarchs that didn't see snow for their entire reigns. Oooo, it's really pretty and magic feeling. I heard the thunder a few minutes ago and thought it must be raining (rather logically, really), and just now went to check and see how wet it was before i went out. I pulled back my cutains and just stood there, dumbstruck, not really understanding what looked so different about the outside but knowing it wasn't the same. It took me a moment of solid concentration to realize that the ground in the alley outside my window hasn't always been white, and that white means snow, and that the snow was still in fact bursting from the sky in handfulls, like angels pelting snowballs at the workingmen in their bowler hats. It is really something.

(Later) Some pictures. I went to the main UCL building, very neoclassical, huge and beautiful, and took some shots of things inside the main gaits. These are them. You will notice two pictures from the same angle and vantage point, but very different. One is with flash, the other without, and you can see it both snowing and snown because of the difference. My favorite is the one of the statue. It's extraordinarily cold and slippery out, and the city is very shit-down from the snow. Tubes stopped, cars in confusion, pedestrians sliding around; it's like - guys, it's two inches of snow. relax. still, pretty and fun. i am going to stay in a cook a hot meal and read shakespeare and coleridge, and read some fiction with a glass of wine before bed. a good night in store for me!



No comments: