Saturday, January 24, 2004

Dinnerage, a good affair.

I have been doing very well with cooking for myself. John and I are getting to be an efficient cooking team, dividing up the labor and the food used. I'm finding that i do most of the actual cooking work, and we are both very happy in this situation. He does the things like boiling the water for pasta, heating up the bread, i do things like selecting and stir-frying the veggies, adding spices and ingredients, making the tastiness and sumptuosity happen. We both contribute to the Arnold Shwarzenegger impressions that myseterious yet invariably accompany almost any time spent in a kitchen (although he conceded tonight that my Arnold was better - yessssss) Tonight was good food; I had bought a small package of ground beef for 75p with a mind to add it to a pasta sauce, and it worked brilliantly. Half an onion and a clove of garlic got started in some olive oil in a pan, onto which i added some oregano oregano to cook in, and then added and browned the meat (adding in lots of red pepper flakes and some normal grindy pepper too). nce the meat was nice and cooked through I poured a bottled premade sauce into the pan, and voila! It was deeeeeeeeeeelicious! That sauce on pasta, warm pita bread on the side to scrape ouur bowls with, and fizzy lemonade to drink. That Lemonade stuff is growing on me; i totally hated it at fist but the bottle i had bought was quite large; but by the time i had finished it off, it had really grown on me, and now i'm on my second one. So dinner was great, and then Dad called and got me out of dishes. Score. It was also really really awesome and wonderful to talk with him, about Al Kooper and academics and living life in london and all kinds of things.

I find that I really enjoy the cooking as long as it's for more than just myself. When it's just me, PB&J or something out of a can (i had tinned mackerel in tomato sauce earlier for a sumptuous treat - much like sardines, and in fact quite possibly the same fish), or cold cereal. But cooking for two usually doesn't require much more labor or substantially greater quantity than cooking for one, and is exponentially more rewarding and fun. Sleep time for me. Hey, how cool are those picture, huh? Next time we cook I will have John take one of me as photographic evidence, and post it up.

To bed and sleeping, goodnight!

No comments: