Saturday, January 24, 2004

Well!
It seems that my amazing sister has scored me an upgrade for this blog service, meaning that I can post some pictures!
So I will make a more detailed entry later tonight or tomorrow morning, since I know I haven't updated in a few days, but here are a few highlights from my first few days, when I took some pictures.


So this is one of those cute SmartCars that I have been seeing around London. I think that they are probably cheap and gas-friendly, environmental, and freakin TINY enough to be oprerable by remote-control. Great for parking, great for city driving in general; terrifyingly unsafe for highway driving is what i hear. But for the dedicated London urbanite, they're probably awesome. And CUTE! Driving here is insane and scary. I might have my international driver's license, but I will wait until I'm out of London to even think about using it. The streets and driving regs here are funny and calamitous. The majority of streets that I have been on have been far too narrow for two cars and a row of parking, let alone two rows of parking, but it all seems to work somehow. The lines that get painted for road lanes seem to have no real bearing on driving patterns; turning lanes double as normal traffic lanes for the opposite direction, and cars can park facing in any direction on a the street. People seem to manage it. I have seen cars in a lane waiting to turn, and a car begins to turn towards them forcing them to back up and line up behind other traffic to let someone through. Two directions of traffic can share the roads in weird ways, cars can park facing anywhere, and everyone drives at like 45 miles an hour. There is also no kind of grid, this being an old old city, so you have to find your way by genetic memory and instinct, and if roads are closed or detoured (actually, they don't say "detour," they say "diversion," which i think is the funniest sign in the world. I will have to snap some more pics of traffic signs), they will not be well marked, if at all.
Driving. CraaaaaazY.

Next come a few signs I liked from Tottenham Court Road, a big commercial bustling street in the neighborhood. These are just a few that I liked a lot. First we have a Japanese Restaraunt that, acording to its name, has a higher grade in Aikido than I do:


And, since every neighborhood has to have its Church:



This is the wrapper of the first English candy bar I bought, which I bought completely for the packaging. My favorite has become the Crunchy Bar, which is like a little foil wrapped piece of heaven. Freakin heaven. It's chocolate aroud some kind of honeyness, like crystallized honey and deliciosity. Awesome. But that's not this - this is just chocolate.


That's all from me for now. More soon. It was a good week, I will share about it.
Later.
I will take more pictures too (with me in them).

No comments: