Sunday, January 25, 2004

So far a weekend of fun days and funny nights.
Friday afternoon I went to a lecture that I saw advertised about, called “the Clash, Revolution Rock, and Rebellion.” It was this guy in his late-30s who used to be a roadie for the Clash, telling stories and sharing facts and ideas, all with this big passion and awe behind it, and it was really neat. Comparing them to other bands, talking about how important they were to a generation of young people in Britain figuring out how to feel angry at their government and society and parents, about how influential they were to a lot of people’s political thought and musical direction. Very cool lecture, although I’m not sure I took away anything concrete. Still, really neat hearing someone talk knowledgably and passionately about the Clash for an hour.
Last night was kind of silly, and it looks like tonight will be about the same kind of deal. Had some tentative strings of plans that kinda fizzled out, couldn’t get in touch with Dave (my old co from Becket) because the number he gave me doesn’t work, a girl I made plans to hang out with fell sick, you get the idea. John and I went to a studenty pub nearby and shot a game of pool, which was fun but kind of silly, since we both had been trying to make other plans and had ended up there through the lack of anything better materializing. Tonight looks to be about the same; we are waiting to hear back from friends of his who have the promise of something fun to do, but I think that if they call us it will be with an idea to be active during much later hours than either of us want. We may end up shooting another round of pool, or the equivalent activity, and calling it a night.
It is very weird to have my chief friend and co-conspirator here be named John. I am used to telling people stories about “me and john” and meaning John Tozzi from New Ro. It feels somehow underhanded to be talking about another John, like I’m cheating on him, hahaha.
Okay, the word has just come in, it’s a bust. We’re out to get a pint.

No comments: