Monday, April 19, 2004

God I love thunder. We just got to Senate House and are set up in our usual study room on the fourth floor, a double-story room with a balcony of books and huge windows on all sides to let in light from every direction. It’s a nice place to focus and a really interesting room (heraldic devices at intervals on the balcony railing, a huge coat of arms at the head of the chamber), and this is where we tend to work best. Just now, there was a burst of lightening so bright it looked as if we’d all been electrified, a crash of thunder so loud and long that it rattled the books from their shelves, and a gust of wind so fierce that the windows rattled in their panes. Then, silence. No rain, no hail, no wind or booming thunder; no flashing from the clouds, and the sky is gone white as a ghost. I think it was my long-time friends the Storm Gods giving me encouragement for the day’s battle. It will be a day for triumph. Oh, my brothers.

3:10

John just discovered the Autocorrect addition I put onto his word-processor program. He is writing a paper on the Roman playwright Plautus, but while he was in the bathroom last night I changed his settings so that whenever he typed that name, the computer would change it to “I am a bad person.” I had completely forgotten about it till just now, when John reared up from his work with a “you ass!” He has vowed to change my settings so that Chaucer will become “smelly assface,” and now I’m scared to leave him alone with my machine. What price mischief?

Sir Winston says: "History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it."
Why wasn't he ever made a lord? Laurence Olivier was made a lord before he died. Did you know that Lord Olivier shaved his legs? It was a habit picked up from his early days in the theatre, when the practically peniless troops couldn't afford the tights for their productions of Shakespeare, and the players had to shave their legs and paint them in bright colors. Apparently Sir Larry never wanted to kick the habit. Also, he would never talk to anyone unless they called him "Larry." I wonder what people called Churchill? Sir, I guess.

No comments: