Saturday, April 17, 2004

Finally making headway on my Dylan paper, thanks largely to advise that Dad gave me last night on the phone. The urge to procrastinate is overwhelming, like a black beast riding my back. Or a monkey. There’s a monkey riding on my back … what does that expression mean? Obviously, it’s a bad sort of monkey. Not like a macaque. Did you know that macaques make snowballs to play with, but the DON’T throw them? It’s truly heart warming. And they’re really cute too. My completely insane freshman-year roommate had a big poster of a baby macaque that he put up on our door. It was one of his better features, having that poster. Holy hell am I ADD like a madman today. I feel like my mind works just like that visual thesaurus program. I think of one thing, and there’s a million balloons that immediately spring off of it, all relevant and interesting and exciting ideas that draw me away from what I was originally thinking about. In a way it’s wonderful; I think of all kinds of neat ideas all the time, and a lot are artistic or useful or innovative. But when I’m trying to get something done, jeeeezus can it be a difficult thing to deal with. Like this post – I was talking about writing, and then made a joke, and then a question about that monkey expression, and then five sentences about monkeys and my freshman-year roommate (who was seriously crazy, like arms-tied-around-the-back crazy. A nice kid though, I hope he gets better. He might, who knows? It wasn’t his fault really - diplomat parents. That’ll do it to anyone.) SPEAKING of ADD. God, I gotta get me some testing done when I get home.

Did you know that Little Eva, who does the song Locomotion, was just the record company exec’s babysitter, and that she made up the song and the dance while she was playing with his kids? He saw it and then, BAM, stardom. It’s one of those inspiring stories.

Back to work.

No comments: