Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Hello true believers -

Tonight has elapsed and I have not made good my goal of finishing my story by Tuesday. Alas, apologies. I will give a small post anyway to make up for it, and regale you with tales untold tomorrow.

Today was good; my recent Hamlet paper got encouraging approval from my appallingly intelligent tutor person (he's absolutely brilliant in a very slow-paced and exquisite way that makes you want to scream), and that felt quite good; aikido was good and Dirk bought the drinks afterwards, and I chatted up two british girls in my Romantics seminar (appropriately?). I only know one of their names, Polly (short for another name that's absolutely nothing like "Polly"), and of course it's the other who is more friendly and easy to talk to. Both are really nice though, and Polly is a knock-out. I have two tickets for an art thing on Thursday, the opening of a Lichtenstein exhibit, and am still searching for a date so I may ask her. I really don't know her very well though and don't give myself great odds on it; hopefully I'll get a good word tomorrow from Juliet or Elana and can avoid the whole thing. Silly, I know, but honest.

So tomorrow I invest in seeing the sights. Mr. Browne sent an email scolding me for not my idleness in investigating the varied spots of ancient blood that colour this city like the spilt wine, and he is dead right in his tisking. He is really great at telling me the right things when I need to hear them; he sent me a really kind and wonderful note after he read about Uncle Herb, with a passage from the Fellowship. He’s very peculiarly perfect in his expressions of intimacy and guidance for me, he always seems to know exactly what I need from him without my knowing it first. This is a good example too, and so Westminster, here I come! Depending on when the day gets itself started I will storm either Westminster Abbey or the British Museum. There will be photos. I think I may simply cry on stepping foot in Westminster; I mean, God, think of it all. We will see.

Also on the agenda para mañana: getting a cheap haircut, training at lunchtime, seeing a Becket friend Dan Wright yay!!!!, and MAYBE more experimentatin, if I get a lucky email. If it happens and I survive yet again, I will simply have to catch up in my storytelling. Expect to hear blood-chilling stories of a man's struggle against science, soon.

***

Winamp plays me Stevie Wonder's "I Wish" and follows it with "Wild Wild West," which samples the main line from, you guessed it, "I Wish." I think it's taunting me; I can see it rising to horrible consciousness but am powerless to act. I'm just days away from it saying "I can't do that Josh" when I want it to shut down. Oh dear. Getians, by the way, are a type of flower (thanks Cheyenne!!). The OED has not heard of them, yet Blogger spellcheck has; and somehow "sentience" runs the other way around. The writing on the wall is in back-lit courier.

No comments: