Sunday, June 18, 2006

Bizarroverse

So when it's winter in Japan there's mever any way to escape the bitter, withering cold that bites at your fingers, face and feelings no matter where you go--there's no insulation, no indoor heating, and every window and door is habitually flung open to bring the old air in. We let the cold into our homes here like a cowardly Russian welcomes the ravaging Mongols. There is no hope of escape from the ferocious, relentless cold.

On the flip side it's now early summer in Japan, and I find myself with no way to enjoy the warmth. It's even legal to drink alcohol outside in Japan, but there's just nowhere to go drink it at; there is not a single place in my city where you can go get something to eat or drink and sit outside with it. No cafe with outdoor tables, no resteraunt with a patio, no picnic tables in the park. No ice cream truck. And all the places keep their windows shut to the breeze. In winter, indoors=outdoors, but in summer outdoors is all shut out. I don't get it. All I want is to go have a cup of coffee and a sandwich somewhere and sit outside in the shade with the cool breeze on me, then read a book and float away. Perhaps it is because this place does not have a lot of tolerance for "float away" that they do not enourage such locales. I think I want to be in Paris with cousin James.

No comments: