Thursday, February 9, 2006

What time is it Mr. Wolf?

It is far, far too late at night for me to be up. Napped this afternoon instead of doing my prepwork for tomorrow, which means I needed to do it tonight. Of course, I procrasinated tonight instead of doing it promptly after conversation class ended, so that's that. Procrastination tonight came by way of making mushroomy miso nabe and reading about Bengla, Freeze Drying and Japanese Language in the Wikipedia. It is some supreme awesomeness indeed, that Wikipedia. If you have no idea what the heck I'm talking about, follow the link to global enlightenment. I modified an entry yesterday on one of its sister project sites, the Wiktionary. In the Simple English subset of the Wiktionary, the entry for "Honey" had previously read:
A sweet liquid made from bees. It is usually golden or brown.
By bees. Honey is made by bees. The sweet liquid that's made from bees is known I belive as Trader Joe's Sticky Awful Mexicano Death Juice. Honey is made by bees.

Reconfronting my pile of prep work for tomorrow was not so bad, except for having left it till about midnight to dig into. But it's been mostly a fun night since then (although so, so tired). First I had to make a game board for my 3rd and 4th graders to use for a time-telling game I'd come up with: the board is a long, half-height sheet of paper with 24 clock faces on it, and by rolling a D6 with its sides marked either +3 or -2, you and the other kids you're playing with move one game piece from midnight of one day to midnight of the next. The difference is that you start on midnight the day before the full moon, and you FINISH on midnight of the full moon itself, whereupon you turn instantly into a werewolf, howl into the night sky, and chase the other kids to the blackboard. Also, you have to ask each other "what time is it?" and answer "it's blahblahblah" when you roll the die. I had a lot of fun drawing my game board; it's all spooky and grim on the midnights and all sunny and cheerful in the middle, with transitions from black clouds to grey clouds to puffy friendly white ones and then back down to black again; pine trees become flowers become headstones; bats become birds become bats; rocks become dirt becomes grass become dirt becomes skeletons. I think it should go over great. Also your gamepiece starts out as a smiling handsome dude until you flip it over on Midnight and he changes into what is, if I may say so, a crazy flipped out awesome scary werewolf man. I'm pretty excited for this one. I'll try to scan some pictures of the stuff I make to post up soon. Of course speaking of time I remember that I'm completely short on it. to bed~

No comments: