Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Okay, so it's 1 in the morning and i just went outside to post the postcards i wrote today, and feeling the calming ease of the cool night air I decided to linger a bit on my stoop, soaking in the sounds of this my fleeting city. Sitting on the ledge of my building's doorway, I see a white, unmarked van making very mysterious movements around the neighborhood. The driver is pulling up at random points along the streets and hopping out to do something, but I can't tell what. It looks like he's making deliveries of some kind, but I can't see what he's dropping off, and he doesn't seem to be going to the doors of buildings; and who ever heard deliveries at 1 AM? So I go to get a closer look when he pulls over to the mailbox on the corner, where i had just dropped my cards off. I see him pull over and jump out, leaving the engine running. He races to the side door, slides it open and comes out with a big brush on a stick, and a sheet of paper. Now I get it, and I watch with some delight as he paints the glue onto the mailbox and sticks the poster on, jumps back in the car, pulls out and cuts a turn to race down the next block. I know that there's not much over where he's headed, so I gamble that he's going to lap around and come out a block south. I start to run down, holding on to my flip-flops with my toes and trying to button my shirt. I know that there's a few circuit boxes that always have posters on them, and if I'm right about his destination, then I can beat him there. He pulls in just like I'd thought, and I'm only a few steps behind - but he jinks back out again and keeps going down the block. Right by the circuit boxes are three orange-vested civil servants! Are they waiting for him? Will they bust him? Oh no!

But he just parks on the corner and goes with his brush and papers to the wall by the phonebooths where the drunk people pee on their way to the tube. I catch up with him just as he gets back to the van.

"Hey, can I gank one of your posters," I ask him.

He answers with a big smile, and says "sure mate, which one do you want?"
He slides back the van door to reveal a whole matrix of cardboard boxes, each with a different kind of poster. I ask if he had put up the Morrissey one I had seen around the corner, and he gave me one of my very own. And here it is!


So awesome, right!? I love this city sometimes.

No comments: