Thursday, January 26, 2006

Questions and Answers

This comes to me in an email from my JTE (the Japanese English Teacher) at my Junior High. She writes, "I send you some questions from 2nd graders( today we thought "why Japanese do ~?" and " Because ~." Then I asked the students if they have any questions about America or you. Would you answer to these?" I think you, dear readers, should help me think up some good answers. Any assisstance would be--potentially--appreciated.

What sport is popular in America?
Why American is taller than Japanese?
Why does American shooping mall has their national flags?
Why did you come to Japan?
Why did you become an ENglish teacher?
What made you to become a teacher?
Why children in America can go home earlier than Japanese children?
Why many schools in America don't have their school uniforms?
Why American people like to communicate with other poeple?
Why is American's nose high?
Why do you blow your nose with a handkerchief?
Why are you ever-cheerful?
Are there any poeple who is not good at talking in America???
WHY do you call South America continent America?(There isn't America in it)

Some of these are pretty awesome, but I'm having a hard time breaking free of the mental and emotional stress of being here in order to give them good answers. For instance, my immediate response to #s 7, 8 and 9 is something like "because we're not fucking robots like you people, and we value individuality and happiness and interpersonal connection, you unbelievable, unfeeling robot people." Which is not necessarily a helpful reply. Suggestions?

No comments: