Monday, December 5, 2005

No I won't Be Afraid

Okay, class.  Let’s play, “Name that movie!”  The passage below is taken from my JH 3rd year text book, and is (supposed to be) the story of a popular movie.  Take a look!

When I was 12 years old, I had three friends.  Chris, a big boy, was our leader.  Teddy had many problems.  Vern was not interested in school.  We were all different but we were best friends.  We had a tree house.  We often got together there.  
One day, Chris, Teddy and I were in the tree house.  We knew through the papers that a boy from the town was missing.  Then Vern came with some exciting news.  The boy was dead and he knew where the body was.  
     We decided to find the body before anyone else.  We wanted to be heroes.  We said to our parents, “We’ll go camping.”
     Then we left for a two-day trip along the forest railroad.
     The trip was our first adventure in the outside world.  We had a very good time.  I told my friends stories.  Only Chris, among them, saw that I had a talent as a writer.  
     As we were walking along the railroad I got to talk with Chris alone.  He often said that I was a coward, but I found out that he was worried about me.  He said, “Gordie, you should go on to college and become a writer.”  I answered, “I’m not a chicken.”  Our friends that that boys going to college were cowards.
     Then he said, “I don’t have any hopes for myself, so I want to see how your talent develops.”  I couldn’t believe these words were coming from a 12-year-old boy.  They really moved me.  
On the second day, we found the dead body.  We made a call to the police, but we didn’t give our names.  It was no longer important for us to be heroes.  When we got back to our town the next morning, it looked smaller than before.  Maybe we grew up a little.  
Some years later Vern and Teddy both died in accidents.  Chris once gave up hope for his future but he got over a lot of difficulties and tried to get his dreams back.  
Everyone was surprised.  Chris was called a coward, but he went on to college and then law school.  Now Chris is dead.  
I became a writer.  I live happily with my family.  I am still alive.  

I really love the last line.  Also, “Vern came with some exciting news.  The boy was dead!”  Yippee!!  Anyway, you guessed it (maybe).  The movie is “Stand By Me.”  When I walked in today my 3rd year team-teacher says “do you know the story, Stand by Me?”  I’m thinking, what, the movie?  Yes, the movie.  We’re doing the first page of this three-page text in class today, and she wants me, before we start, to A) EXPLAIN THE STORY TO THE CLASS, and B) DESCRIBE THE FOUR BOYS AND THEIR RELATIONSHIPS TO ONE ANOTHER, USING PICTURES I CAN DOWNLOAD OFF THE INTERNET, to make the story “more interesting to the students.”  As fucking if.  I’m sorry, what the hell am I supposed to say to the kids about the movie?  “Okay kids, see, there’s this movie but it’s nothing at all like this story, but I have no way of communicating it to you, and anyway nothing I could possibly do could possibly make what you have in front of you in any way interesting.  Here’s some pictures!!”

Now I have to go download pictures.

No comments: